By waysidewillow, Jul 2 2019 06:35AM
Terrible blogging here!
I completely ran out of time to record and document the steps of making as I went, so this recording is all retrospective.
I had calculated that the steel armature would take 3 days to make. Whoops- big mistake. it actually took six, with a number of days working up to gone eight o clock at night.
I ended up adding much more steelwork than I intended. It was calculating where the willow was going to flow on the final structure, that kept prompting me to add extra detail. It seemed better to me to work harder on this end of the process, to ensure the flow and direction worked well when the willow was appllied, than to find there was not enough structure once it was made and I was working it on site.
My original plan was to have had the steelwork finished by the Friday and then on the Monday I would put an initial skin of willow on it. That would achieve 2 key things. One: it would reduce the time pressure somewhat on site for getting it fully finished in the 2 days; Two: it would enable me to see how the willow was going to flow over the structure and identify any tricky areas.
It was not finished by Friday... or Saturday... or Sunday. It wasn't completely done until late `Monday afternoon, including the angle grinding of roucgh edges and cleaning up the welds and painting.
By monday night he was safely placed in the back of my estate (just) with the willow tightly packed all round him.
The photo below is Mr Toad on the final day of making, but not finished yet. (I forgot to take a photo when he was)